Eucharistic Miracles

Eucharistic Miracle of Augsburg

The Eucharistic miracle of Augsburg, is known locally as Wunderbarlichen Gutes – “The Miraculous Good”. It is described in numerous books and historical documents that can be consulted in the civic state library of Augsburg. A stolen Host was transformed into bleeding Flesh.

In the course of the centuries, several analyses were completed of the Holy Particle that have always confirmed that human Flesh and Blood are present. 

Today the Convent of the Heileg Kreuz (Holy Cross) is taken care of by the Dominican Fathers. n 1194, a woman from Augsburg who was particularly devoted to the Most Holy Sacrament, received Holy communion. After communion, without being noticed, she put the Host in a handkerchief, took the Blessed Sacrament home and placed the Eucharistic Species in a container of wax inside a cupboard.

In those days it was very difficult to find tabernacles in the church so as to be able to practice Eucharistic worship. Only in 1264, with the introduction of the Feast of Corpus Domini (Corpus Christi) did such devotion become commonplace.

Five years passed and on the 11th of May 1199, the woman, tormented by remorse, confessed to the superior of the convent of the Heilig Kreuz, Father Berthold, who had her bring the Host back. 

The priest opened up the wax covering that enclosed the Host and saw that the Holy Eucharist had been transformed into bleeding Flesh. The Host appeared “divided into two Parts connected together by the thin threads of the bleeding Flesh.” 

Father Berthold went immediately to the bishop of the city of Udalskalk who ordered that the Miraculous Host be “transferred, accompanied by the clergy and by the people into the cathedral and exhibited in an ostensorium of crystal for public worship.” 

The miracle continued: the Host began to grow and to swell up and this phenomenon lasted before the eyes of all from Easter Sunday until the Feast of St. John the Baptist. Following this, Bishop Udalskalk had the Host brought back near the convent of the Heilig Kreuz and proclamed that “in memory of such a memorable and extraordinary event,” there should be a special commemoration each year in honor of the holy relic.

In 1200, Count Rechber donated to the Augustinian Fathers a rectangular chest of silver with an opening in the front for the placement of the Host of the miracle. Besides the Eucharistic miracle, other extraordinary incidences took place, such as the apparition of the Host with Baby Jesus dressed in white with radiant face and His forehead encircled with a crown of gold, or in another case the bleeding of the crucifix of the church, or the apparition of Jesus blessing the assembly of worshipers.

Eucharistic Miracles

Eucharistic Miracle of Pressac,France

Eucharistic Miracle of Pressac, France, 1643

In the Eucharistic miracle of Pressac, a chalice in which a consecrated Host had been placed was completely fused after a fire in the parish church. The only thing remaining of the chalice was the foot of the chalice on which had formed a tin bubble under which the Host was found completely intact.

The Miraculous Host was consumed the day after, but there are many documents which testify to this miracle still in existence today. Among these documents are the windows of the church of Pressac which depict the different phases of the miracle. 


The miracle occurred on Holy Thursday, 1643. After having celebrated Mass and everyone had received Communion, the people of the town returned to their jobs and the priest placed the chalice back into the repository. This was near the altar dedicated to the Blessed Virgin which had four pillars of wood supporting a marble slab on top of which was a corporal. 

Behind the altar there was a depiction of a Eucharistic scene. A veil covered the chalice and two large candles were lit at the foot of the repository. It was mid-day and the sacristan closed the door of the church. 

Two hours later, those nearby noticed thick, black smoke coming from the windows of the church. Since the windows had inadvertently been left open, this probably fanned the flames of the candles and accelerated the fire. The people called the sacristan to open the doors and they all entered to assess the damage. The repository and the painting were destroyed. What was left were the marble slab, the corporal and the foot of the chalice. The report would later say that almost the entire cup was transformed into “drops of tin.” 

Above what was left of the chalice there formed a bubble of tin under which the Host was found completely intact having withstood the flames and the fusion of the metal. The vicar, Simon Sauvage, came to the place of the miracle and carried the damaged chalice to the main altar for all to see. The Host, light red around the edges, was consumed the next morning during the Divine Office of Good Friday. 

The Abbot of Availles-Limouzine, François du Theil, recorded all of the testimony and gave it to the Bishop of Poitiers, Henri Louis Chastagnier de la Roche-Posay who authorized the cult of the miracle with a solemn act which states: “The Sacred Mysteries are incomprehensible, if the splendor of grace does not illumine the spirit in order to elevate it to the highest understanding of the wondrous effects of the power of God and to obligate all men to adore Him, who is owed their adoration.

The ineffable goodness of God is manifested at times in extraordinary ways, working miracles in the Church in order to confirm the Catholic Faith and to confound the errors of the unfaithful spirits.”  

Eucharistic Miracles

Eucharistic Miracle of Marseille,France

Eucharistic Miracle of Marseille-En-Beauvais, France – 1533

In the year 1532, toward the end of the month of December, thieves entered the parish church of Marseille en Beauvais and stole a precious silver ciborium that contained consecrated Hosts. The Hosts were abandoned under a large rock along a main street.

The first day of January, Mr. Jean Moucque was walking down that street despite a strong snow storm. While he was walking, a rock on the side of the road captured his attention, because it did not have any snow on it. When he lifted the rock, he was amazed to find the Hosts completely intact. He immediately told the pastor, Father Prothais, who, accompanied by many of the faithful, carried the Hosts into the parish church.

They placed a cross on the location where the Hosts were found, and in order to accommodate the large number of devoted faithful who would come to visit, eventually built the Chapel of the Sacred Hosts. The Lord worked many miracles at this chapel. The historian, Pierre Louvet describes some of these miracles in his Histoire de la Ville de Beauvais. There was the extraordinary story of the priest, Father Jacques Sauvage, who was completely healed after being paralyzed and having lost his ability to speak. Mr. d’Autreche, blind from birth, regained his sight.

Despite all of these graces given by God, the Bishop-Count of Beauvais, Odet de Coligny, became a heretic, converted to Calvinism and married Elizabeth of Hauteville. Like with Luther, lust can cause the strong to fall.

Before publicly renouncing his faith, he ordered the Hosts to be consumed. Today, the Chapel of the Sacred Hosts still stands and every year on the Second day of January, a Solemn Mass is celebrated in honor of the miracle of 1533.

Eucharistic Miracles

Eucharistic Miracle of LaRochelle,France

Eucharistic Miracle of LaRochelle,France (1461)

The Eucharistic miracle of La Rochelle concerns the instantaneous cure of a boy, paralyzed and mute since the age of seven, when he received Holy Communion at Mass on Easter Sunday in 1461. He was completely healed of his paralysis and was once again able to speak. The most authoritative document that visually describes this miracle is the painted-manuscript preserved still today in the Cathedral of La Rochelle.

During Easter of 1461, Mrs. Jehan Leclerc brought her twelve year old son, Bertrand, to the Church of St. Bartholomew. Bertrand had been paralyzed and mute since the age of seven due to a terrible fall. When the time for Holy Communion arrived, he indicated to his mother that he also wanted to receive Jesus in the Eucharist. Initially the priest did not want to give the young man Communion, because the boy was not able to go to Confession given his muteness.

The young man, however, continued to beseech the priest for Communion and, in the end, the priest did permit him to receive the Blessed Sacrament. From the first moment that Bertrand received the Host, he began to feel shaken by a mysterious force. He was able to move and to speak. He was cured.

According to the hand-written document, immediately after the miraculous event Bertrand’s first words were, “Adjutorium nostrum in nomine Domini!” (“Our help is in the name of the Lord!”) The most authoritative document that visually describes this miracle is the painted manuscript preserved to this day in the Cathedral of La Rochelle .

There are two drops of Blood from our Lord, Jesus Christ, collected on Calvary during the Passion, preserved in the church of Neuvy-Saint-Sépulcre in Indre. They were brought to France in 1257 by Cardinal Eudes returning from the Holy Land.

This relic of the coagulated Blood is known to be pure, because the Precious Blood was not mixed with water or earth. From the year 1257, the relic had been kept in this church which was built in the first half of the year 1000 and modeled on the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.

In order to honor the holy relic of the Most Precious Blood of Jesus, numerous indulgences have been granted. The Archbishop of Bruges, André Frémiot, founded the Confraternity of the Most Precious Blood in the year 1621.

Two years later, Pope Gregory XV granted new indulgences to the faithful devoted to the Sacred Blood. Each Monday of Easter and every first day of July, a Solemn Mass is celebrated and there are processions to adore and honor the Sacred Relic. There have been many graces attributed to invoking the Sacred Blood of Neuvy-Saint-Sépulcre.

Eucharistic Miracles

Eucharistic Miracle of Faverney,France

On the Vigil of the Feast of Pentecost, the monks of Faverney decided to expose the Blessed Sacrament for public adoration. During the night, a fire flared up which destroyed the altar and the sacred furnishings, but not the monstrance containing the Sacred Host. The monstrance was retrieved after a few days while it was suspended in the air perfectly intact. The miraculous Host is still kept today and many are the pilgrims who every year hasten to venerate the miracle.

In the 17th century, Protestantism and Calvinism spread quickly in France by means of the many material benefits conceded by the new religions to the members of the nobility and the clergy coming from the Catholic Church. This placed at risk the faith of many and created many uncertainties, even in the monasteries.

In the city of Faverney there was a Benedictine Abbey whose monks had departed a great deal from the rule of their founder. They held only the highest esteem for the devotion to the Lady of Notre-Dame la Blanche, known in all the area for its many miracles. Through her intercession many miracles had in fact been verified, among which was even the returning to life of two infants who were not yet baptized.

In 1608, on the Vigil of the Feast of Pentecost, the monks decided to prepare an altar for the exposition and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. The lunette of the monstrance was very large, and because of this, they decided to put in two Hosts. When Vespers had finished the monks left the monstrance exposed on the provisional altar. On the next morning, the sacristan opened the church and found it full of smoke, with the provisional altar completely reduced to ashes.

He started to yell, and immediately the religious and other people hastened and proceeded to remove the ashes with the hope of finding some part of the monstrance. When the smoke began to clear, they were astonished on seeing that the monstrance was suspended in the air.

The multitude increased and crowded to see the Eucharistic marvel, in which the Hosts had remained unharmed regardless of the fire. The religious were astonished and unable to make a decision. They asked the counsel of the Capuchin friars of Vesoul. The friars immediately prepared a new altar over the burned one and celebrated Holy Mass.

During the elevation of the Host, the monstrance slowly descended upon the new altar. When the canonical process finished, on July 10, the Archbishop of Besançon declared that the miracle was authentic, and on September 13, the Archbishop of Rodi, who was the nuncio in Brussels, made it known to Pope Paul V who granted a Bull of Indulgence.

The miracle rekindled the faith of many. In 1862, the Congregation of Rites authorized the celebration of the miracle. In 1908 the third centenary of the miracle was solemnly commemorated with a National Eucharistic Congress. Even today it is possible to see and venerate the relic containing one of the two Hosts which remained unharmed. The other Host, unfortunately, after it was donated to the Church of Dole, was destroyed by the revolutionaries in 1794.

Eucharistic Miracles

Eucharistic Miracle of Bordeaux, France

In the Eucharistic miracle of Bordeaux, Jesus appeared in the Host exposed for public adoration for more than 20 minutes, giving a blessing.  Even today it is possible to visit the chapel of the miracle and venerate the precious relic of the Monstrance of the apparition, which is kept in Martillac, France, in the church of the contemplative community “La Solitude”.

The Eucharistic miracle of Bordeaux is closely connected to the Community founded in 1820 by the Venerable Father Pierre Noaille.

The Community is still active today, especially in Asia and Africa. The marvel occurred twenty months after the foundation of the Community in their Church of St. Eulalia in Rue Mazarin, Bordeaux. Jesus appeared in the Host immediately after Abbot Delort, who that day was substituting for Fr. Noaille in the liturgical celebrations, gave the benediction with the Blessed Sacrament.

The great number of the faithful who were present were able to contemplate for more than twenty minutes, the apparition of Jesus giving a blessing, which was visible on the Host exposed for public adoration. In addition, someone testified to have heard Jesus saying: “I Am He Who Is”.

This event was approved by the ecclesiastical authorities, among whom were the Archbishop of Bordeaux,Monsignor D’Aviau, who heard personally the witness of the faithful who attested to the marvel.

Eucharistic Miracles, Miracles of Jesus

Eucharistic Miracle of Blanot,France

The Eucharistic miracle of Blanot took place during the Easter Mass of 1331. During Communion, a Host fell to a cloth that was held below the communicant’s mouth. The priest tried to pick up the Holy Eucharist, but it was not possible. The Host had transformed into Blood, resulting in a stain the same size as the Host, on the cloth. That cloth is preserved today in the village of Blanot.

In the 14th Century, Blanot was a small village in the center of France and part of the diocese of Autun. The bishop of this town, Pierre Bertrand, was involved in certain canonical discussions with an official of his curia, Jean Jarossier, which resulted in documentation that gives us many details about this Eucharistic miracle.

The miracle occurred on Easter Sunday, March 31, 1331, at the first Mass of the day, which was offered by Hugues de la Baume, the vicar of Blanot. One of the last people to receive Communion was a woman named Jacquette, the widow of Regnaut d’Effour. The priest placed the Host on her tongue, turned, and started walking toward the altar. He did not notice that a Particle from the Host fell and landed upon a cloth that covered the woman’s hands. Thomas Caillot, who was assisting at the Mass went to the altar and said: “Father, you must return to the rail because the Body of Our Lord fell from the mouth of this lady onto the cloth.”

euch72-3The priest immediately went to the woman, still kneeling at the railing, but instead of finding the Host on the cloth, he saw a small spot of Blood. When Mass was over, the priest took the cloth into the sacristy and placed the stained area in a basin filled with clear water. After washing the spot and scrubbing it numerous times, he found that it had become darker and larger (reaching about the size and shape of a Host). Moreover, the water in the basin turned Bloody. The priest took a knife and, after washing the cloth, cut from it the piece bearing the Bloody imprint of the Host. He held up the Sacred Host and said: “Good people: here is the Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ. I sought in every way to wash and to wring the stain from the cloth, and in no way was I able to do so.”

This square of cloth was reverently placed in the tabernacle. Every year, on the feast of Corpus Christi, the relic is solemnly exposed in the church of Blanot. An additional note: The Hosts that remained in the ciborium after the distribution of Holy Communion on that Easter Sunday were also returned to the tabernacle, never to be distributed. Hundreds of years later they were found to have been perfectly preserved.