Eucharistic Miracles

Eucharistic Miracle of Augsburg

The Eucharistic miracle of Augsburg, is known locally as Wunderbarlichen Gutes – “The Miraculous Good”. It is described in numerous books and historical documents that can be consulted in the civic state library of Augsburg. A stolen Host was transformed into bleeding Flesh.

In the course of the centuries, several analyses were completed of the Holy Particle that have always confirmed that human Flesh and Blood are present. 

Today the Convent of the Heileg Kreuz (Holy Cross) is taken care of by the Dominican Fathers. n 1194, a woman from Augsburg who was particularly devoted to the Most Holy Sacrament, received Holy communion. After communion, without being noticed, she put the Host in a handkerchief, took the Blessed Sacrament home and placed the Eucharistic Species in a container of wax inside a cupboard.

In those days it was very difficult to find tabernacles in the church so as to be able to practice Eucharistic worship. Only in 1264, with the introduction of the Feast of Corpus Domini (Corpus Christi) did such devotion become commonplace.

Five years passed and on the 11th of May 1199, the woman, tormented by remorse, confessed to the superior of the convent of the Heilig Kreuz, Father Berthold, who had her bring the Host back. 

The priest opened up the wax covering that enclosed the Host and saw that the Holy Eucharist had been transformed into bleeding Flesh. The Host appeared “divided into two Parts connected together by the thin threads of the bleeding Flesh.” 

Father Berthold went immediately to the bishop of the city of Udalskalk who ordered that the Miraculous Host be “transferred, accompanied by the clergy and by the people into the cathedral and exhibited in an ostensorium of crystal for public worship.” 

The miracle continued: the Host began to grow and to swell up and this phenomenon lasted before the eyes of all from Easter Sunday until the Feast of St. John the Baptist. Following this, Bishop Udalskalk had the Host brought back near the convent of the Heilig Kreuz and proclamed that “in memory of such a memorable and extraordinary event,” there should be a special commemoration each year in honor of the holy relic.

In 1200, Count Rechber donated to the Augustinian Fathers a rectangular chest of silver with an opening in the front for the placement of the Host of the miracle. Besides the Eucharistic miracle, other extraordinary incidences took place, such as the apparition of the Host with Baby Jesus dressed in white with radiant face and His forehead encircled with a crown of gold, or in another case the bleeding of the crucifix of the church, or the apparition of Jesus blessing the assembly of worshipers.

Eucharistic Miracles

Eucharistic Miracle of Pressac,France

Eucharistic Miracle of Pressac, France, 1643

In the Eucharistic miracle of Pressac, a chalice in which a consecrated Host had been placed was completely fused after a fire in the parish church. The only thing remaining of the chalice was the foot of the chalice on which had formed a tin bubble under which the Host was found completely intact.

The Miraculous Host was consumed the day after, but there are many documents which testify to this miracle still in existence today. Among these documents are the windows of the church of Pressac which depict the different phases of the miracle. 


The miracle occurred on Holy Thursday, 1643. After having celebrated Mass and everyone had received Communion, the people of the town returned to their jobs and the priest placed the chalice back into the repository. This was near the altar dedicated to the Blessed Virgin which had four pillars of wood supporting a marble slab on top of which was a corporal. 

Behind the altar there was a depiction of a Eucharistic scene. A veil covered the chalice and two large candles were lit at the foot of the repository. It was mid-day and the sacristan closed the door of the church. 

Two hours later, those nearby noticed thick, black smoke coming from the windows of the church. Since the windows had inadvertently been left open, this probably fanned the flames of the candles and accelerated the fire. The people called the sacristan to open the doors and they all entered to assess the damage. The repository and the painting were destroyed. What was left were the marble slab, the corporal and the foot of the chalice. The report would later say that almost the entire cup was transformed into “drops of tin.” 

Above what was left of the chalice there formed a bubble of tin under which the Host was found completely intact having withstood the flames and the fusion of the metal. The vicar, Simon Sauvage, came to the place of the miracle and carried the damaged chalice to the main altar for all to see. The Host, light red around the edges, was consumed the next morning during the Divine Office of Good Friday. 

The Abbot of Availles-Limouzine, François du Theil, recorded all of the testimony and gave it to the Bishop of Poitiers, Henri Louis Chastagnier de la Roche-Posay who authorized the cult of the miracle with a solemn act which states: “The Sacred Mysteries are incomprehensible, if the splendor of grace does not illumine the spirit in order to elevate it to the highest understanding of the wondrous effects of the power of God and to obligate all men to adore Him, who is owed their adoration.

The ineffable goodness of God is manifested at times in extraordinary ways, working miracles in the Church in order to confirm the Catholic Faith and to confound the errors of the unfaithful spirits.”  

Eucharistic Miracles

Eucharistic Miracle of Marseille,France

Eucharistic Miracle of Marseille-En-Beauvais, France – 1533

In the year 1532, toward the end of the month of December, thieves entered the parish church of Marseille en Beauvais and stole a precious silver ciborium that contained consecrated Hosts. The Hosts were abandoned under a large rock along a main street.

The first day of January, Mr. Jean Moucque was walking down that street despite a strong snow storm. While he was walking, a rock on the side of the road captured his attention, because it did not have any snow on it. When he lifted the rock, he was amazed to find the Hosts completely intact. He immediately told the pastor, Father Prothais, who, accompanied by many of the faithful, carried the Hosts into the parish church.

They placed a cross on the location where the Hosts were found, and in order to accommodate the large number of devoted faithful who would come to visit, eventually built the Chapel of the Sacred Hosts. The Lord worked many miracles at this chapel. The historian, Pierre Louvet describes some of these miracles in his Histoire de la Ville de Beauvais. There was the extraordinary story of the priest, Father Jacques Sauvage, who was completely healed after being paralyzed and having lost his ability to speak. Mr. d’Autreche, blind from birth, regained his sight.

Despite all of these graces given by God, the Bishop-Count of Beauvais, Odet de Coligny, became a heretic, converted to Calvinism and married Elizabeth of Hauteville. Like with Luther, lust can cause the strong to fall.

Before publicly renouncing his faith, he ordered the Hosts to be consumed. Today, the Chapel of the Sacred Hosts still stands and every year on the Second day of January, a Solemn Mass is celebrated in honor of the miracle of 1533.

Eucharistic Miracles

Eucharistic Miracle of Faverney,France

On the Vigil of the Feast of Pentecost, the monks of Faverney decided to expose the Blessed Sacrament for public adoration. During the night, a fire flared up which destroyed the altar and the sacred furnishings, but not the monstrance containing the Sacred Host. The monstrance was retrieved after a few days while it was suspended in the air perfectly intact. The miraculous Host is still kept today and many are the pilgrims who every year hasten to venerate the miracle.

In the 17th century, Protestantism and Calvinism spread quickly in France by means of the many material benefits conceded by the new religions to the members of the nobility and the clergy coming from the Catholic Church. This placed at risk the faith of many and created many uncertainties, even in the monasteries.

In the city of Faverney there was a Benedictine Abbey whose monks had departed a great deal from the rule of their founder. They held only the highest esteem for the devotion to the Lady of Notre-Dame la Blanche, known in all the area for its many miracles. Through her intercession many miracles had in fact been verified, among which was even the returning to life of two infants who were not yet baptized.

In 1608, on the Vigil of the Feast of Pentecost, the monks decided to prepare an altar for the exposition and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. The lunette of the monstrance was very large, and because of this, they decided to put in two Hosts. When Vespers had finished the monks left the monstrance exposed on the provisional altar. On the next morning, the sacristan opened the church and found it full of smoke, with the provisional altar completely reduced to ashes.

He started to yell, and immediately the religious and other people hastened and proceeded to remove the ashes with the hope of finding some part of the monstrance. When the smoke began to clear, they were astonished on seeing that the monstrance was suspended in the air.

The multitude increased and crowded to see the Eucharistic marvel, in which the Hosts had remained unharmed regardless of the fire. The religious were astonished and unable to make a decision. They asked the counsel of the Capuchin friars of Vesoul. The friars immediately prepared a new altar over the burned one and celebrated Holy Mass.

During the elevation of the Host, the monstrance slowly descended upon the new altar. When the canonical process finished, on July 10, the Archbishop of Besançon declared that the miracle was authentic, and on September 13, the Archbishop of Rodi, who was the nuncio in Brussels, made it known to Pope Paul V who granted a Bull of Indulgence.

The miracle rekindled the faith of many. In 1862, the Congregation of Rites authorized the celebration of the miracle. In 1908 the third centenary of the miracle was solemnly commemorated with a National Eucharistic Congress. Even today it is possible to see and venerate the relic containing one of the two Hosts which remained unharmed. The other Host, unfortunately, after it was donated to the Church of Dole, was destroyed by the revolutionaries in 1794.

Eucharistic Miracles

Eucharistic Miracle of Bordeaux, France

In the Eucharistic miracle of Bordeaux, Jesus appeared in the Host exposed for public adoration for more than 20 minutes, giving a blessing.  Even today it is possible to visit the chapel of the miracle and venerate the precious relic of the Monstrance of the apparition, which is kept in Martillac, France, in the church of the contemplative community “La Solitude”.

The Eucharistic miracle of Bordeaux is closely connected to the Community founded in 1820 by the Venerable Father Pierre Noaille.

The Community is still active today, especially in Asia and Africa. The marvel occurred twenty months after the foundation of the Community in their Church of St. Eulalia in Rue Mazarin, Bordeaux. Jesus appeared in the Host immediately after Abbot Delort, who that day was substituting for Fr. Noaille in the liturgical celebrations, gave the benediction with the Blessed Sacrament.

The great number of the faithful who were present were able to contemplate for more than twenty minutes, the apparition of Jesus giving a blessing, which was visible on the Host exposed for public adoration. In addition, someone testified to have heard Jesus saying: “I Am He Who Is”.

This event was approved by the ecclesiastical authorities, among whom were the Archbishop of Bordeaux,Monsignor D’Aviau, who heard personally the witness of the faithful who attested to the marvel.

Eucharistic Miracles, Miracles of Jesus

Eucharistic Miracle of Blanot,France

The Eucharistic miracle of Blanot took place during the Easter Mass of 1331. During Communion, a Host fell to a cloth that was held below the communicant’s mouth. The priest tried to pick up the Holy Eucharist, but it was not possible. The Host had transformed into Blood, resulting in a stain the same size as the Host, on the cloth. That cloth is preserved today in the village of Blanot.

In the 14th Century, Blanot was a small village in the center of France and part of the diocese of Autun. The bishop of this town, Pierre Bertrand, was involved in certain canonical discussions with an official of his curia, Jean Jarossier, which resulted in documentation that gives us many details about this Eucharistic miracle.

The miracle occurred on Easter Sunday, March 31, 1331, at the first Mass of the day, which was offered by Hugues de la Baume, the vicar of Blanot. One of the last people to receive Communion was a woman named Jacquette, the widow of Regnaut d’Effour. The priest placed the Host on her tongue, turned, and started walking toward the altar. He did not notice that a Particle from the Host fell and landed upon a cloth that covered the woman’s hands. Thomas Caillot, who was assisting at the Mass went to the altar and said: “Father, you must return to the rail because the Body of Our Lord fell from the mouth of this lady onto the cloth.”

euch72-3The priest immediately went to the woman, still kneeling at the railing, but instead of finding the Host on the cloth, he saw a small spot of Blood. When Mass was over, the priest took the cloth into the sacristy and placed the stained area in a basin filled with clear water. After washing the spot and scrubbing it numerous times, he found that it had become darker and larger (reaching about the size and shape of a Host). Moreover, the water in the basin turned Bloody. The priest took a knife and, after washing the cloth, cut from it the piece bearing the Bloody imprint of the Host. He held up the Sacred Host and said: “Good people: here is the Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ. I sought in every way to wash and to wring the stain from the cloth, and in no way was I able to do so.”

This square of cloth was reverently placed in the tabernacle. Every year, on the feast of Corpus Christi, the relic is solemnly exposed in the church of Blanot. An additional note: The Hosts that remained in the ciborium after the distribution of Holy Communion on that Easter Sunday were also returned to the tabernacle, never to be distributed. Hundreds of years later they were found to have been perfectly preserved.

Eucharistic Miracles

Eucharistic Miracle of Avignon France

On November 30, 1433, the Blessed Sacrament was exposed for public adoration in a small chapel cared for by a confraternity known as “the Gray Penitents.” Suddenly, Avignon was flooded when the Rodano, the river crossing the city, overflowed. By boat, two members of the confraternity managed to reach the chapel where the Blessed Sacrament had been left for adoration and was now unattended. When they entered the chapel, they saw that the waters were divided to the right and to the left, leaving the altar and the monstrance perfectly dry.

The Eucharistic miracle of Avignon occurred in the Chapel of the Holy Cross, home of the Gray Penitents, whose founding goes back to the time of pious King Louis VIII. This king, in order to celebrate his victory over the Albigensian heretics who denied the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, had organized a solemn act of reparation on September 14, 1226, the liturgical feast of the Exaltation of the Cross.

In the official documentation of this event, which is still preserved in the chapel of the Gray Penitents, we read that on November 30, 1433, while the Blessed Sacrament was exposed in the little chapel for public adoration, the city of Avignon was hit by a terrible flood. The Rodano river overflowed after days of heavy rain. In the confusion, Armand and Jehan de Pourzillhac-Fature, the latter being the head of the confraternity at the time, with great effort struggled to reach the chapel by boat in order to save the monstrance containing the Blessed Sacrament.

From the gates the two men looked into the chapel toward the altar to see what had happened to the monstrance. They saw that the water, which was almost six feet deep inside the chapel, had parted to the right and to the left of the altar, like two walls, and the altar and the monstrance had remained dry and untouched.

News of the miracle spread rapidly, and all the people, together with the authorities, hastened to the place singing hymns of praise and thanksgiving to the Lord. Several hundred persons witnessed the miracle. The Confraternity of the Gray Penitents decided that the anniversary of the miracle would be celebrated each year in the chapel on the Feast of St. Andrew the Apostle.

Even today every November 30th the brothers gather at the Chapelle des Penitents Gris to celebrate the memory of the miracle. Before Benediction, the brothers sing a sacred chant taken from the Canticle of Moses, which was composed after the parting of the Red Sea. “I will sing to the LORD, for he is gloriously triumphant…At a breath of your anger the waters piled up, the flowing waters stood like a mound, the flood waters congealed in the midst of the sea… In your mercy you led the people you redeemed; in your strength you guided them to your holy dwelling” (Exodus 15:1-18).

This scene is very interesting as it recalls the Lord’s power coming from the bible. The crossing of the Red Sea (Exodus 14:19-22), the crossing of the Jordan River (Joshua 3:14-17), and the anointing of Elisha by Elijah (2 Kings 2:7-8, 13-14) shows that God has shown this sign before.